In the summer everybody is obsessed with losing weight so that they can show their fabulous bodies on the beach. However, great bodies require a lot of sweating at the gym and eating healthy foods that have less calories and fat which can gather around your belly and hips. That is why we have decided to make your choice about this summer’s meal much easier for you, and to give you 2 salad recipes, which, except for being very delicious, are also very easy to prepare. They include healthy products as well, and won’t let you feel like a hungry bear when you finish your meal. And here are the three salad recipes!
Avocado and Chicken Salad
This salad is very easy to make, and it even allows you to experiment with some of the vegetables. You can add some of your favorite ones, and to give it an even better taste with adding the juice of a freshly squeezed lemon. For this salad you will need some pre-cooking, but it won’t take you a lot of time. If you wish you can buy some already roasted chicken, but it is better if you make it yourself. Here is what you will need.
1 chicken breast, with the skin
2 avocados, which you have to cut in halves and remove the pits
3 roasted red peppers, if you wish, you can put only 2, wash them well and remove the peels
1 can of palm hearts (14-ounce), wash them well and do not forget to drain the water as much as possible
Lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
Salt and pepper
How to do it:
For the chicken:
- Preheat the oven to 250 0C
- Wash the chicken well and use a small cooking brush to apply some of the olive oil on it. If you do not want it too oily, then leave it a bit dry. Then sprinkle it with salt and pepper, as much as you like, it you prefer it not too spicy, then leave it with smaller amount of spices.
- Now put the chicken in a pan and bake it for about 35 minutes. Of course, you should watch it from time to time if it is evenly baked.
- When it is ready, leave the chicken to cool down a little.
- Then get a bowl where you will be putting all the ingredients for the salad.
- Cut the chicken breasts into small bites. If you wish you can remove the skin, but definitely do not remove it before cooking, because the meat will get dry and not crispy at all.
- Cut the avocados in cubes and put them in the bowl
- Then add the roasted peppers. Cut them in strips, and while you are doing this be careful not to put some of the seeds in the salad as well. Clean the inside part of the peppers well.
- Then add the palm hearts. Cut them into rolls. This way all of the ingredients will be cut in a different way which will give the salad even more flavor.
- Put some salt and lemon juice, as much as you like.
- Mix all the ingredients well and your salad is ready.
Quinoa & Vegetables
The other recipe is again very easy to prepare, not to mention it is very healthy and extremely delicious. If you are working and you want to have some fresh salad, you can definitely prepare it in the office kitchen. You will need about 20 minutes for it, and another 40 – to enjoy it. Here it is what you will need:
2 cups of dry quinoa
2 cups of cherry tomatoes, or if you wish you can just use 2 big tomatoes
½ cup mozzarella
If you want to save some of your time, prepare the quinoa at home. It does not need to be absolutely fresh. Here is how to do it:
Mix the quinoa with 4 cups of water in a pan, and try to have an equal amount of water and quinoa all over the pan and boil it. While it is still boiling, add half a teaspoon of salt to it and stir it a little. Then turn the heat down as low as possible. It will take you about 15 minutes to cook it once the water starts boiling. And when the water is almost absorbed, remove the pan from the stove. Then spread the quinoa over a baking sheet and leave it for some time to cool down a little.
And when the quinoa is ready, let’s go back to the salad.
Get a large mixing bowl and put everything in it, firs the quinoa, and then the tomatoes, which should be cut in halves if they are cherries, or in small bites, if they are regular tomatoes. Then add the avocado. Cut it in halves, remove the pit and peel it. Then cut it in small pieces, it could be in cubes or strips, whatever you like. Finally, add the mozzarella and flavor the salad with salt and a little olive oil.
Image source: Fotolia